As I have noticed on Instagram, “nice cream” is everywhere. This vegan ice cream made out of frozen bananas, which is probably not a new concept to you, but was a revelation to me. A healthy dessert that tastes like chocolate but is vegan and sugar free?? Jackpot! This raw cacao banana bowl has become one of my regulars already.
Whenever I am craving something chocolaty, I’ll try a bowl of half-frozen cacao smoothie bowl first. I only alternate the toppings: Sometimes I sprinkle chocolate granola on top; next time I choose toasted sesame seeds, pumpkins seeds, or sliced almonds. Frozen or fresh fruits are always a good idea. Since this cocoa nice cream is my favorite dessert right now, I always keep some frozen, ripe, bananas in the freezer – you know, just in case.
You can make this nice cream using a high-speed blender, but an immersion blender will do the job just fine. I usually use my hand held blender for this. Letting the sliced, frozen bananas sit out on the counter for 10 minutes beforehand makes the blending easier and will protect your appliances.
Usually I add a tiny bit of unsweetened almond milk – not too much though, unless you go for a smoothie and not a smoothie bowl. Add any milk you like. I don’t add any sweetener since the ripe bananas are sweet enough for me. If you prefer the smoothie bowl a bit sweeter, feel free to add honey, agave syrup, pitted dates or an additional frozen banana.
This cacao nice cream is the perfect healthy dessert. It’s sugar free and vegan and simply tastes amaaaazing!! You can make this cacao smoothie bowl using a high-speed blender, but an immersion blender will do the job just fine. Letting the sliced, frozen bananas sit out on the counter for 10 minutes beforehand makes the blending easier and will protect your appliances. I don't add any sweetener since the ripe bananas are sweet enough for me.
- 2 ripe, frozen, sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) freshly squeezed blood orange juice (substitute with orange juice or more milk)
- 1-2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (1 for a mild chocolate flavor, 2 for a more intense flavor)
- Optional: Honey, agave syrup, pitted dates, or 1 additional frozen banana
- I used homemade chocolate granola, chia seeds, blueberries, blackberries, and bee pollen.
- Let the frozen banana slices sit out on the counter for 10 minutes for easier blending.
- Blend the banana, milk and blood orange juice until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Add the cacao powder and blend until well combined.
- Transfer the nice cream to one regular bowl or two small bowls.
- Sprinkle with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Did you follow this recipe? You could share your result here. All you need to do is take a picture with your smartphone and send it to [email protected]
Chocolate smoothie bowls are the best things ever! ITs hard to believe this version is healthy!
You say it Bethany!! I looooove those bowls and was so suruprised that a ripe banana makes up for all the sugar ;-)