These Italian amaretti cookies have a crunchy crust and a chewy center. I love to eat this Italian classic year round, especially when served with a cup of “Melange”, the most famous Viennese coffee with lots of milk foam on top. I prefer these cookies with a chewy center but feel free to bake them a little longer to get a crunchy cookie all the way. Store them in an airtight container to keep them the way they are for as long as possible.
These Italian amaretti cookies have a crunchy crust and a chewy center. I love them this way. In case you prefer them to be crunchy and crispy all over, simply let them bake in the oven a little longer.
- 1 large egg (60 g incl. egg shell)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 100 g (about 1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 125 g (about 1 1/4 cup) almond meal (I used the one with skins but blanched ones are also fine)
- Additionally: Granulated sugar and powdered sugar for rolling
- Whisk egg, almond extract, sugar and salt with a fork until well combined. Add almond meal and mix until the ground almonds are equally moist.
- Cover and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour (or overnight) so that the batter gets firmer. (I omitted this step once and the balls spread into flat cookies, so make sure to cool the batter properly.)
- Roll the batter into small balls, 1.5 teaspoons each. Roll each ball in a small bowl with granulated sugar first and then, in a separate bowl, in powdered sugar until nicely covered.
- Place the cookies onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper with 1-inch space between them (they will spread a little).
- Bake them for 12-15 minutes in a 320 F (160 C) preheated oven. Depending on their size and your oven, the baking time may vary. The cookies should still be kind of soft to the touch and they will firm up when cooled. Rather underbake them because you can always put them back into the oven for a minute or two once they are cooled and you have checked the consistency.
Did you follow this recipe? You could share your result here. All you need to do is take a picture with your smartphone and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org